Professional headphones are an important part of the equipment in all music studios and for all music tasks. Headphones are a necessity to achieve a high quality of music recordings and sound experiences.
There are many factors to consider when choosing professional headphones, including sound quality, comfort, durability and price. Read more below to find your new quality headphones.
Introduction to professional headphones
Professional headphones are designed specifically for music production and live performances. They are designed to provide an accurate sound reproduction of recorded music and can help you adjust and fine-tune sounds and instruments in your mix. They are also useful for anyone who wants to train in silence or record in a noisy environment. There are many different types of professional headphones on the market, each with their own specific advantages and disadvantages.
What is important to consider when choosing headphones?
Sound quality is of course the most important aspect to consider when choosing professional headphones. You want an accurate and detailed reproduction of the sound, so you can hear all the details of the music and adjust the mix to the desired sound. Comfort is also important, especially if you plan to use the headphones for a long time.
They should be light and adjustable so that they fit well and do not cause discomfort. Durability is also a factor, especially if you travel with your headphones or use them at live performances. If they are not sturdy, they can be easily damaged and you will have to replace them more often than necessary. Finally, the price is also important, as professional headphones can be a big investment.
Different types of headphones
Headphones can have an open or closed construction. Open headphones sit outside the ear and are typically comfortable to wear and characterized by a clear and clean sound. The disadvantage is that they do not insulate from outside sounds as well as closed models. With closed headphones you will not be disturbed by other extraneous sounds in the room. For microphone recordings, one would prefer closed headphones, where there is not so great a risk of the mixed mix from the headphones being included in the recording.
Headphones are often declared with a certain "impedance" expressed in Ohms, as an expression of the electrical resistance in the headphones, which should preferably match the output of the headphone amplifier. If you are primarily going to use the headphones with a mobile player or telephone, you should choose a low impedance (e.g. 32). If you have a reasonably good sound card or a good headphone amplifier, you can choose a higher impedance (e.g. 240)
Recommended professional headphones
- Sennheiser HD 650 - These headphones are known for their accurate and detailed sound reproduction. They also have superior comfort and are adjustable to fit any head. However, they are a bit more expensive than some of the other options.
- Audeze LCD-X - These headphones are capable of delivering excellent sound reproduction. Definitely some of the best on the market.
- Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - These headphones are known for their great design and comfortable fit. They also deliver accurate and detailed sound reproduction, making them a popular choice among musicians and sound engineers. They are also durable and can handle the demanding conditions in a recording studio or at a live performance.
- Red NTH-100 - Professional over-ear headphones that offer exceptional sound performance and superior comfort that inspire creativity. The quality is high and the NTH-100 are ideal for all kinds of creation, including music production, mixing and sound editing, podcasting, streaming and location recording.
- Neumann NDH 100 - These headphones are specially designed for professional sound engineers and musicians. They deliver an accurate and detailed sound reproduction and have good sound insulation. They are comfortable and can be worn for a long time.
Tips for maintaining and storing headphones
In order for your professional headphones to last a long time and remain in good condition, there are some important tips for maintenance and storage. First of all, it is important to clean your headphones regularly to remove dirt and bacteria. Use a soft cloth and a mild soap solution to wipe them. Avoid using harsh chemicals as they can damage the headphones.
When storing your headphones, be sure to place them in a protective bag or case to protect them from dust and shock. If you are traveling with your headphones, make sure to store them in your carry-on luggage to avoid damage during transport.
Why professional headphones are a necessity for musicians
Professional headphones are a necessity for musicians and sound engineers who want to achieve a high quality of music recordings and sound experiences. They are designed specifically to deliver accurate and detailed sound reproduction, which is essential for adjusting and fine-tuning sounds and instruments in your mix.
There are many different types of professional headphones on the market, so it's important to consider sound quality, comfort, durability and price when choosing the right pair. By following maintenance and storage tips, you can ensure that your professional headphones last a long time and remain in good condition.